Northern Gas Pipeline Jobs and Training Site
Welcome to the Northern Gas Pipeline (NGP) Jobs and Training website.
The NGP Project is a 622km buried gas pipeline under construction between Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory and Mount Isa in Queensland. Construction began in 2017 and first gas will flow through the new pipeline in 2018. Please click here for more information on the NGP Project.
Approximately 900 people will be employed throughout the Project’s planning, construction, commissioning and operation phases.
Jemena is working closely with communities and businesses along the proposed NGP route to harness as much local and Indigenous participation as possible.
During the planning, construction and commissioning phases, Jemena’s NGP Project will create jobs and training opportunities for locals and also expects its ongoing operations and maintenance teams at both Tennant Creek and Mount Isa will be staffed from local workforces.
This site is designed for local and Indigenous people to:
- register their interest in working on the project
- register their expression of interest for the Project Ready Training Program (entry level training for the construction phase). (PROGRAM COMPLETED MID-2017)
- register their expression of interest for employment with the Tennant Creek Social Employment Project (making timber pipe skids, sand bags and sawdust bags in Tennant Creek for the Project’s construction phase). (PROJECT COMPLETED MID-2017)
The site also:
- advertises current job opportunities on the NGP Project.
- enables Project contractors to find employees.
- enables training organisations to find trainees for Project training opportunities.
NGP Training Opportunities
Gas Operator Training Program
Jemena is seeking applicants for a short-term gas operator training program for local people from the Barkly and Mount Isa regions. As a gas operator trainee, you will undertake a six-week gas operations training program in Tennant Creek, starting on 16 April 2018. Jemena will select two graduates from this program and offer them training in Certificate III Gas Supply Industry Operations. Upon successful completion of this course, the individuals will become gas pipeline operators on the NGP.
What we're looking for
Successful candidates must be local to the Barkly and Mount Isa regions and:
- have the personal motivation and disposition to successfully complete the program
- pass a drug and alcohol test and medical assessment
- have a strong commitment to personal health and safety and the well-being of the whole training group
- be enthusiastic team-oriented and committed to their own success in training and employment
In addition to these attributes we are seeking trainees who have:
- the willingness and ability to undertake further training and employment in the oil and gas industry and to travel within Australia to realise these opportunities
- some work/training history, preferably on the NGP
- the motivation and behaviours to enable them to succeed in the oil and gas industry
- a base level of technical competence from which they can build a successful career
- a driving licence or the ability to obtain one
For this training program, preference will be given to applicants who have attended one of the following information sessions:
Gas Operator Training Program Information Sessions
- Mount Isa – 5.30pm on 26 March 2018 at Ibis Styles Verona, Cnr Rodeo Drive and Camooweal Street
- Camooweal – 9.30am on 27 March 2018 at Willie Judarra Hall, Camoowea
- Tennant Creek – 6.30pm on 27 March 2018 at Jemena Office, 1/172 Paterson Street
Candidates are encouraged to apply following the information session by registering and providing a copy of their resume.
If applicants are unable to attend one of the information sessions, the closing date for applications is 5pm CST on 28 March 2018.
Applications now closed.
Late applications will not be accepted.
Project Ready Training Program (Program complete mid-2017)
Jemena’s NGP Project Ready Training Program trained 15 people in the Tennant Creek region and 30 people in the Mount Isa region to undertake basic construction training over a 10 week period. Graduates from the training program obtained a Certificate II in Construction and Infrastructure Resources (statement of attainment) and have been guaranteed a job on the NGP.
Tennant Creek Social Employment Project (Program complete mid-2017)
Tennant Creek business Remote Concrete NT delivered Jemena's Social Employment Project in 2017, which provided goods and services to the NGP while providing work opportunities to people with a significant barrier to employment. The Social Employment Project delivered 50,000 timber pipe skids and 37,000 sawdust bags to the NGP while providing jobs to those people who would ordinarily not be able to work on the NGP.
NGP Job Opportunities
Jobs on the NGP range from civil works and machine operators to engineering and environmental professionals. Roles include labourers and trades assistants, chefs, kitchen staff and cleaners, drivers and machine operators, welders, fauna handlers, surveyors, riggers, engineers and administration personnel.
Please register your interest in jobs and training opportunities here.
Jemena regularly communicates news from the NGP Project.
Read NGP Project Updates here.